VD and Osteoarthritis

Let me start off my saying that this was not one of our better Valentine's Days.  It started very early for us. Michael left the house at 4:00 a.m. to drive with Gran to Williamson Medical Center for Surgery.  This left me to get all of the boys ready and out of the door by 7:00 a.m.  On my way to the bus stop I got a call from Gran informing me that Michael's surgery was going to be a bit more complicated than they had originally thought and that he was not permitted to drive for four (4) weeks. This was not at all what I wanted to hear.  I pushed that thought to the back of my mind and dropped the boys off at the bus stop and went to work. 

Work was hard.  I got yelled at several times during the Child Support Docket.  I'll tell you, nothing screams Valentine's Day better than two divorced people yelling at each other over child support.  Because Michael's surgery went later than we originally thought, Gran was not available to pick the boys up from school.  However, since I was in the middle of a docket, I couldn't pick them up either.  Thankfully our incredible assistant picked the boys up in the pouring rain, brought them back to the office and kept them entertained.

On our way home, Finn made a remark that caught me completely off guard.  He said, "Mom, would you be really mad at me if I told you I had a girlfriend?"  I got that pain in my stomach that I have heard so many other parent's talk about.  I took a breath and assured him that I would not be mad.  He gave a relieved sigh and said, "thank goodness, I just couldn't keep it to myself anymore."  It took the entire drive home, but Finn finally told me who his "girlfriend" is.  I had to promise not to tell anyone else - even Michael.  I was impressed with his choice.  He assured me that he was not holding hands or kissing.  He found both ideas repulsive and explained that _______ is his girlfriend because he likes to talk to her.

When Michael and Gran got back from the hospital, the boys opened their Valentines from Gran and Pa.











After presents we ate pizza.  Sam ate his pizza sitting on the couch while the adults ate at the bar.  After finishing his first piece, Sam said "Mom, will you bring me another piece of pizza?  I don't want you to be my servant, I just don't want to get my own pizza."  I congratulated Sam on defining the master/servant relationship. I found this to be so precious, because he was so sincere.

Next it was time for Michael to fill us in on his surgery.  He originally went in to repair a torn labrum in his left hip.  During the surgery they found arthritis in Michael's hip joint. They cleaned it out and dripped holes in the bone to stimulate new growth.  He was pretty discouraged - but the pain medicine really helped improve his mood.  Since the surgery went much longer than expected, they didn't get back to town until after the pharmacy closed.  Thankfully, the pharmacist at Perkin's Drugs delivered the medicine to our house at around 10:00.  His wife even sent "Nothing Bundt Cakes." 



This is how Michael has to sleep for the next 18 days.  I feel so sorry for him.  All in all, Valentine's Day stuck it to us this year. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

High Ankle Sprain

Ghouls at Grassmere