Hawaii Day 7: The Muddy Trail

On our last full day in Hawaii David, James, Chelsea, Michael and I went on an adventure hike to a waterfall.  I call it an adventure hike because the terrain was difficult to navigate due to mud, mud, and more mud.  Earlier in the week (Before Michael and I arrived) everyone went to do the hike. Upon seeing the mud and the bugs they decided to turn back.  They called us back in Hendersonville and told us to pack our hiking boots.  Michael, always the skeptic, said that his family was probably exaggerating . . . they were not!  You would not believe the amount of mud on that trail.  The trail to the falls was about a mile and half - at least a mile was of it was at least six to eight inches of think, sticky mud.  The only thing that I can compare it to is "bubble gum alley" at Cumberland Caverns.  The mud was so thick that our feet came out of our shoes.  Not only was it muddy - it was slick as ice.  We slid all over the place.  I feel on my bottom at least twice.



 Our parking spot. 


The group "starting" picture. 


My "starting" photo.  Now I know how mom felt all those years. 



After some time of slipping and sliding David learned that running through the trail was actually the easiest way to get through.  He looked hilarious! 






Despite his hilarity, it actually did work. The faster I went, the more sure footed I felt.  At one point I was running through the woods, holding the video camera, filming David and Michael racing on the muddy trail.  It was so much fun.  After crossing the stream the mud cleared up a bit and we were able to make better time.


This was little clearing a little more than halfway to the Falls.  Do not be fooled - this was the cleanest part of the trail.  



Near the end of the trail we had to cross a fairly large stream.  David decided to play a game where we pretended the water was lava.  If we touched the water with any part of our body then we died.  I loved jumping from rock to rock.  I died of course - one of my feet slid into the water.  Chelsea almost bit it pretty hard.  As she was jumping from rock to rock she grabbed onto what she thought was a sturdy vine.  Once she put her weight on it, it gave way and she fell straight backward.  Luckily, James was behind her and caught her on the way down.




The muddy trip to the waterfall was well worth it.  When we got there we saw a group of about 4 or 5 marines doing gainers and back flips off of the falls.  Then they decided to climb a lot higher off to the side and jump.  This jump was probably thirty (30) feet. When they hit the water it sounded like a bomb had gone off. We were warned that the water may carry bacteria and that we could get pretty sick if we drank any of it.  David and I decided to risk a little water to the mouth and swam out toward the waterfall.  I have never felt water than cold in my life!  The moment I started swimming it felt like all the air was pushed out of my chest.  I could only take very swallow breaths.  It like an elephant was sitting on my chest.  It was not a pleasant feeling.  I can understand how you can die of hypothermia.  I had to concentrate really hard on making my body swim.  When I got up the rock I then started to worry that once I jumped off the falls my body may not work to get back out of the water.  I quickly put that thought aside and started  climbing.  Another girl was sitting on the rock.  She asked me if I had ever done it before.  I told her that I hadn't - she said she hadn't either.  She then told me that she was scared.  I told her that I was scared too - and immediately jumped into the water. 


It really wasn't scary - it was only about a ten (10) foot drop. It was cold when I went completely under but I was able to come back up just fine.  One the way back I noticed that I had water on my lips. I was so focused on living that I forgot about the water warning (okay that was a bit of an exaggeration).  I spit whatever I could out and hoped for the best (so far, so good).



Next David jumped.  After his jump he immediately went back up the falls to explore.  He discovered that if you go up a little further then there is another small falls with a small pool.  It was even prettier than the first.  



I started to climb the rock to jump off but before doing so yelled to someone across the way and asked how deep the pool was.  He told me that I would find out after jumping in.  I said "okay" and thanked him for his help (yes, that is sarcasm).  He then said, NO - don't jump into that water.

We made one more jump off the regular falls and then swam back to our group waiting on the rocks.



We made the hike back up the car.  This time I made sure that I washed off in the water every chance I got.  Despite all the baths along the way my shoes were still a bloody mess.  I washed them off as best I could with what was left of my water bottle and then wrapped them in my dirty shirt.  Thank goodness I thought to bring changing clothes.

It was an awesome trip!  I had originally planned to just chill out at the hotel our last day, but I am so glad that I went.  Just watching everyone slip around in the mud was so much fun.  One group on the way out told us that we kept them entertained the entire time - I am sure they are referring to David.

When we got back to the room Michael and I worked out and then we went down to the lagoon to paddle board.  Paddle boarding was one of the things on my list that I really wanted to do.  By the time we arrived at the lagoon all the boards were sold out.  Oh well, I was a bit disappointed, but there isn't one experience that I would have exchanged for an hour of paddle boarding.   Instead, Michael, Sharon, Chelsea, Deniece and Tommy laid out by the beach for an hour and relaxed.

For our last night in Hawaii we decided to all have dinner together.  A couple of our ideas fell through so we settled on "Snappers" a little dive bar across from the Hilton property.  I had a Mahi sandwich and we listened to music from early 2000.  It wasn't very Hawaiian, but it turned out to be a good night.  



After dinner Michael, Tommy, Deniece, Chelsea and I went to get ice cream.  Michael had been wanting ice cream all week so we topped the night off with a little something sweet.  After our ice cream was gone, we said our goodbyes and went up to the room to pack.  On our way up we stopped at the ABC store to use some of our Hilton Hawaiian Dollars on the snacks for the plane.  Our first and last stop of our trip was at the ABC store - poetic.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

High Ankle Sprain

Sunday