Oh Christmas Tree

I recall a time, not too long ago, when putting up my Christmas Tree was the one of the happiest days of the year.  That was before I had children.  Now, the very thought of putting up the Christmas Tree fills my heart with dread.

This year I didn't get up tree up before Thanksgiving, so we put it up the Friday after Thanksgiving. We got started around 5:30 p.m..  I thought this would be plenty of time to get the tree up before the boys went to bed.

As always, I checked the lights first.  Of the six strands I tested, five strands were not working. I was so upset.  We bought all new lights last year!!!  In frustration I asked Michael to go get new lights. He responded, "but I haven't had time to research." Wrong answer.  Those of you who know Michael know that he researches everything.  We don't make a purchase over one hundred dollars without Michael doing hours of research.  Well, in my world one does NOT research Christmas lights.  I demanded that Michael forego the research this time and go get my lights.  He obliged.

However, it was getting late so we decided that we would probably have to put the decorating on hold for the night.  I told Finn that we would decorate the tree another time.  He walked over to me, held my hands, looked into my eyes and said, "Mom, we can't give up on Christmas."  I decided to power on - no matter how late the boys had to stay up.  And no, it wasn't Finn that made me change my mind.  It was the thought of spending another day on this tree.

After Michael got home, I learned that he had basically taken out a second mortgage on our house so that we could get LED Christmas lights.  They are expensive, but boy was there a huge difference.

Next it was time to get the ornaments out.  This year Finn, Sam and I sat in the kitchen and carefully took all the ornaments out of the boxes and set them gently on the lid of my big ornament tub.  I deduced that this would be the most time efficient way to get the ornaments on the tree.  My plan actually worked.  We only had a few causalities - mostly boxes - but that was easily fixed.  I had a good time doing this task with the boys. I remembered how last year was so disastrous and how this year was so much better.  The boys were excited, gentle and curious about the ornaments.

Then it was time to put the ornaments on the tree.  I slid the box lid full of ornaments into the den and carefully positioned it in a place where I thought it would be safe.  I then turned on Harry Potter and gave the boys sugar cookies.  

I guess I blame it on the cookies . . . Sam was so enthralled with his cookie that he walked right into the den and took two steps . . .  directly onto my lid full of ornaments. (Big sigh of frustration.)  He didn't even notice!!

Thankfully Finn was there to keep me sane.  He immediately got to work putting ornaments on the tree.  He was really good at it too.  He spread them out appropriately and put them on the tree according to size.  I helped Sam put on a few too.




When we were about half way finished, Sam got bored and started playing with his bunny. Something got him very excited and he started throwing his bunny around.  I told him multiple times to stop, but he didn't listen and worse I didn't follow through with my many threats because I was too busy with the tree.  Then it happened, I looked up as bunny went flying through the air in the very direction of my ornaments.



And yes, bunny landed with a huge thud right on top of my ornaments. I did follow though this times - Sam went to timeout.







We did manage to finish a little after 9:00 p.m.  I put the boys to bed and sat exhausted on the couch and admired our work.  I am so glad this joyous occasion is over.

Comments

  1. So glad you didn't give up on Christmas!! Bruce was mad at me for doing most of my tree without him, but of the ornaments I saved for him to put on he only broke three:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

High Ankle Sprain

Ghouls at Grassmere