Skip to main content

No More Cast

On Monday I took Finn to the doctor to get his cast off.  He was so excited.  The doctor's office had called me three times and left those automated messages reminding me of our appointment on Monday at 8:00.  We arrived right on time - bursting with anticipation.  However, we were bummed to learn that the appointment was actually scheduled for the next day (Tuesday).  So much for the automated system.  A bit annoyed, I asked if they could work us in.  The kind nurse smiled and said cheerily "Sure! But we are double and triple booked this morning so I can't promise when we will be able to work you in."  As politely as I could muster, I told her that I could not wait due to my work schedule and we left.  Side note: I can't stand doctor's offices.  If I double and triple booked clients - I wouldn't have any.  What makes me even madder is the realization that I am completely at their mercy because I can't cut that cast off myself (nor would it be wise to do so).

So . . . Take 2.  Finn got his cast off on Tuesday.  He was so relieved.  The doctor told us that his arm looked great, but that it would feel weird for a while.



Finn was bothered by the amount of dead skin on his arm.  He spent the rest of the morning sloughing it off, undoubtedly in the back seat of my van. 

Later that evening we met some friends from Sunday School and D-Group out on the lake.  Jody and CJ have a great boat and graciously invited us and our kids to chill out on Old Hickory.   They picked us up at Station Camp Creek Boat dock around 5:15 and we stayed out until dark. 

Will hated his life jacket - but I was able to get him to wear at least half of the life jacket approximately 50% of the time.  That counts, right?


Elena and Jody - part of my D-Group. 

Our D-group didn't get to officially meet this week so I was really excited to get to hang with the girls.  While we didn't do much "d-grouping," I did say my verses and Elena challenged all the wealthy people of Sumner County to sell their earthly possession (i.e. their huge lake homes) and follow Jesus.  

After dinner, the kids got in the water and swam for a few minutes.  Finn and Cameron really enjoyed swimming.  Sam panicked and, though wearing a life jacket, knew for sure that he was slowing drowning. The boys' favorite part of the evening was watching CJ wake board.  They thought it was the coolest thing they had ever seen in real life.  Any time he would go over the wake, they would hoot and holler and generally freak out.  They told Jody and CJ's son Cameron that "his dad was the coolest guy ever." I would say that it doesn't take much to impress them, but after my multiple failed attempts, I can't make that claim. 

 Afterwards Dustin, Elena and I took a turn about.  We were terrible - AND I earned another enormous bruise (picture infra).  But, the boys were proud of me for jumping in that freezing cold lake and giving it the "old college try."  


Our group picture, minus Jody. From the top: Eric, Amanda, Dustin, JC with Cameron.  Bottom:  Michael with Will, Finn, Sam, Me, Elena and Eli (Eric and Amanda's son). 

Look at my handsome husband!  Oh, and while, at first glance, it looks like Finn is flipping off the camera, he is actually just throwing a gang sign. Kidding. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manhandled

Finn and Sam give Will absolutely NO personal space whatsoever.  They are always in face yelling and grabbing on him.  For a few minutes he will tolerate it.


Then he gets mad and starts swinging those arms.  I have warned both boys that they deserve whatever Will dishes out. 


Last Thursday was Finn's field day.  He wasn't too excited about it because he didn't get to participate at all.  He was even more upset by the fact that he only came home with a "participants" ribbon.  I guess Finn expected to get a ribbon for "Best Score Keeper."

Surprise sickness

When I picked Will up from daycare yesterday, I was informed that several babies had gone home throwing up.  Thirty minutes later - Will threw up too - in the car! It was so gross and so smelly.  The boys were really upset. For a minute, I thought they would throw up from the smell.  Luckily, we were on our way to the dentist so they quickly forgot about Will's vomit and started panicking about the dentist.  You see, I had kept this little tidbit from them until right before time to go.  This spared me days of whining.


Oh, and Will just started eating carrots.  That is why he is orange. 
When he got to the dentist's office I took Will in to change him.  When I pulled his only spare outfit out of the diaper bag I notice that the "do not steal me" hard, plastic tag was still attached.  Perfect.  I decided that he would just wear nothing.  So he sat in my lap, wearing nothing but his diaper all while throwing up into a baby blanket.  It was a make it work moment.  And o…

Sleep Training

Since he came home from the hospital, Will has slept right next to me.  For the first few weeks it was on the air mattress. Then we moved to the couch. Then we moved to a twin mattress in the floor of Will's room.  It didn't take long until we permanently took up residence in the marital bed - thus effectively evicting Michael.

We NEVER let Finn or Sam sleep with us - Will was different story.  He was a bit needier that Finn or Sam.  We were able to put both boys in their own crib at around 6 weeks and while they whimpered a bit - we were both able to self soothe enough to go to sleep.  Will hated his crib from the word go.  Whenever we put him in it he would scream until we finally came to rescue him (his words - not mine).  The times we tried, he would scream for well over an hour without tiring.  It was exhausting. So, we let him win.  This is how he wound up sleeping in our bed for six months.

Now, I am not complaining.  I LOVED having Will next to me in bed.  We both sle…