Lunch with Nana

On Friday Finn received a surprise visitor at school - Nana!  Nana called me early last week and asked if Finn could have visitors for lunch.  After getting it all set up Nana asked that I not mention anything to Finn because she wanted it to be surprise. 

Around 1:00 I got a call from Nana - I asked her how it went.  She responded, "well, it wasn't what I expected."  She goes on to say that the kids are not aloud to talk during lunch.  I had no idea.  So it was Nana and eleven kids sitting around a table quiet as a mouse.  I wish I had a picture.  Apparently Finn didn't get his dessert that day because he wouldn't eat his ravioli.  Before leaving Finn told his teachers that his Nana likes to read books so Nana read to the class.  Last, she tucked Finn in for his nap. 

When I picked Finn up that afternoon I asked him about his day.  He responded, "I yelled at Nana."  Finn explained that Nana went into the boys bathroom and he yelled at her through the door that she was in the wrong bathroom.  Finn thought this was hilarious.  This was what stood out most vividly in Finn's mind - not that Nana surprised him at school, not that Nana read a story to his class - but that Nana went into the wrong bathroom.  In Nana's defense this the bathroom that Finn's teachers told her to use.

Saturday evening, after leaving Grandad's party we went to spend the night with Nana.  The minute we pulled up Finn and Sam both ran out to the shed to play with Papa.  They played for a long time while mom and I talked.  Then we went outside to see the new platform (soon to be treehouse).  While outside Finn jumped in a pile of dry grass that was as tall as he is - he had grass stuck all over him. 

When it was time to come in Finn played in the playroom while Sam helped Nana cook supper.  Actually what Sam did was sit on the counter and eat cheese dip.  First he asked for spoon and then a fork.  Then he started saying, "let me try it mama."  (Meaning, let me feed myself.)  Sam talked all weekend.  He is using five and six word sentences.  I wish I could remember them all because they are so cute.  One time after taking a bite of cheese dip Sam go really excited, looked up at Nana, smiled and squealed, "I LOVE YOU."

We put Sam down right before supper. Mom, Greg, Finn and I had supper and then Finn had ice cream.  We put Finn to sleep around 9:30 - he was so tired that he didn't fuss, even when Mom put him in her bed all by himself. 

The next morning Nana made waffles and then we all got ready for church.  After breakfast Sam was nowhere to be seen.  I found him in Greg's office sitting at his desk looking very pensively at a "Due South" DVD box set.  I asked Sam what he was doing and he said, "reading . . . . my bible." 

Nana took Sam and Finn to Sunday School and then I met them later for big church.  Finn sat with us until it was time for children's church.  Finn went to children's church willingly and had a good time.  They brought the kids back up during the offertory.  We didn't see Finn at first, but noticed that Mrs. Cyndi had somebody by the hand - it was Finn.  He made it back to the pew incident free. 

Finn rode back to the house with me and Sam rode with Nana.  Finn and I made back to Nana's first.  Finn was very proud of us for beating Nana.  He then tells me that "it is important to beat other people."  After a pause and quizzical look from his mother he amended his statement to include . . . "in a race." 

We ate lunch in the playroom.  Finn watched the Incredible Hulk and played with Play Doh while I got a pedicure.  Then I took a nap.  When I woke up I found Nana and Finn walking around in the back yard.  Then they decided to climb a tree.

Overall we had a great time.  The boys had fun, I had fun and I got sent home with a few stuffed peppers - one of my favorites. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

High Ankle Sprain

Sunday