Skip to main content

Right of Passage

At some point as a parent you are going to make your children mad.  This is a fact.  You are probably also going to hear those three little words - "I hate you."  I would consider this a parent's right of passage.  Well, this hasn't happened to me . . . yet - but we got pretty darn close this week.  One night I asked Finn to turn off his video game.  He was heart broken.  He put forth so much effort in an attempt to get me to change my mind that I thought he might collapse of mental exhaustion. Knowing Finn as well as I do - his pleas, plea bargains, and crafty arguments do not affect me anymore.  In admitting his defeat Finn said through tears, "I am going to run off and get eaten by a wild animal so that you will be so sad."  I wished him well and offered to help him pack his bags.


Just so that I don't forget, Sam calls motorcycles "mertyl-cycles."

And Finn, while playing with his toys today said, "I'm so glad that God made me so curious so that I can know so much about superheroes."


I got in a fender/bender on Thursday - the coldest day of the year. 


Today Michael and I went upstairs to find that the boys were in their bedroom with the door locked.  When we finally got in we found Finn and Sam laying in the top bunk reading a Batman book together.  Finn has memorized this book and reads it to Sam. 





Much to our dismay, Sam has learned to get up and down from the top bunk.  He is very careful, but it still makes us a little nervous seeing Sam in his slippery little socks going up and down that ladder. The other day I went into his room to wake him up from his nap.  I think that he had slept for a little over four (4) hours and I thought that he really needed to get up.  When I walked into his bedroom I didn't see him in his bed.  I walked over to the bed to feel the covers (I assumed he was just way under the covers).  Again, I couldn't find him.  For a split second I felt an overwhelming sense of panic.  Where was he?  I checked the rest of the upstairs - no Sam. I went back into the room and happened to look in the top bunk.  At some point Sam had gotten out of his bed and crawled up into Finn's bed.  (Finn naps in our room because we don't want him to wake Sam up). He looked so sweet just snoozin' away. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manhandled

Finn and Sam give Will absolutely NO personal space whatsoever.  They are always in face yelling and grabbing on him.  For a few minutes he will tolerate it.


Then he gets mad and starts swinging those arms.  I have warned both boys that they deserve whatever Will dishes out. 


Last Thursday was Finn's field day.  He wasn't too excited about it because he didn't get to participate at all.  He was even more upset by the fact that he only came home with a "participants" ribbon.  I guess Finn expected to get a ribbon for "Best Score Keeper."

Gatlinburg 2.0

In mid-June Finn and Sam accompanied Grandad and Gigi to Gatlinburg.  This is their second annual trip so will refer to it as Gatlinburg 2.0. Michael, Will and I were at home, so outside of some awesome pictures and few sweet phone calls, we don't have a great deal of knowledge about the trip. What I do know is that the trip started with hot Kristy Kremes.  Upon arriving in Gatlinburg, Finn asked if the "hot sign" was on.  Seeing that it was, they stopped in for donuts.


They also went back to Clingman's Dome.  They went last year, but I didn't pack long pants and jackets so they were pretty chilly.  It was also really foggy last year.  This year went as planned; the air was clear and the boys were warm.


One of my favorites!



Another favorite.




And . . . another favorite.









They went to Dollywood later than evening and then again the next day.



It amazes me how pop culture "savy" kids are at 5.  I was never that "in the loop."

Mexico Beach

Today I embarked on my first ever “girls’ trip.”  I have always had friends that went with their other girl friends on beach vacations, but I have never been on one myself. 
The trip started at 6:30 a.m.  I kissed the boys goodbye (Finn woke up to make sure that he got a hug) and hopped in my newly cleaned van to head to Robyn’s house. I had originally intended to meet Samantha and Karen in Hendersonville, but I spent a little too much time with the boys and got behind.  Instead, we met at Robyn’s house a little after 7:00.
Once we all arrived, we packed up the van and set out for 109.  The van has really come in handy.  We were able to get all of our suitcases, bag, pillow, etc. packed neatly into the van with room to spare.






We officially hit the road at 7:30 – the destination – Mexico Beach Florida.  Samantha’s mom has a condo that she graciously let us rent at a ridiculously low price.  The crew consisted of Samantha, Robyn, Karen and myself.  Samantha sat up front with me; Robyn an…