According to Sam



For his 5th birthday, Nana made Sam a book called "According to Sam." It is a compilation of my funniest blog posts about Sam.  Finn got a similar book appropriately titled "According to Finn." Sam loved reading According to Finn.  He thought this book was hilarious.  But after a while Sam began to notice that all of the funny stories were about Finn.  He asked, "mom, where are my funny stories."  
Skip forward a few years and its Nana to the rescue.  I was so excited to read Sam his book - I just knew that he would double over in laughter and ask me to read it over and over.  The first few times I read it to him - he thought it was pretty funny.  Then, something changed.  Last week, Finn, Sam and I were sitting on my bed reading "According to Sam."  Will was there too - he was just sound asleep at the foot of the bed.  Finn really enjoyed the book.  He gave the response that I expected to get out of Sam.  After reading half of the book, I noticed that Sam wasn't laughing anymore.  He also starting to shrink into my armpit.  I gave him a kiss on the head and said, "Sam, you are so sweet."  He looked at me and said, "Mom, if that's true why did you spank me."  We had just read the part about me having to come to Sam's school to give him a spanking for misbehaving. Admittedly, this was a rough part of the book.  Sam had a really hard time at preschool during naptime.  So many of the stories waxed poetically about how horrible Sam was. The more we read, the more Finn laughed.   Finally Sam had had enough and yelled "stop laughing at me."  He then buried his head in the pillow (hiding his face in embarrassment).   I felt so sorry for Sam.  He hasn't quite grasped the concept of "laughing with you - not at you."  I did my best to explain to Sam that Finn was laughing at the story and the telling of the story - not at Sam.  

At breakfast the next morning, Sam smiled at me and excitedly said, "MOM! Can we read 'According to Sam' tonight?" 


This a picture of Sam singing, "I Get Down."  It is so funny. He even does his own "beat box" to start the song off. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

High Ankle Sprain

Sunday