Solar Eclipse 2017

Yesterday, August 21, 2017, was the solar eclipse.  We have been hearing about this event for months now and we were pretty excited to see it.  We lived directly inside the path of totality, so we knew that barring any bad weather, we would have one of the best views in the United States.  Given that so many people were packing into Gallatin, we decided to let the boys stay home from school.  First, because we didn't want to fight the traffic, and second, because he didn't think that Finn and Sam would leave their glasses on at school.



Securing glasses became a bit of an issue.  Grandad and Gigi had given us glasses months ago for Finn and Sam.  Michael and I waited until the week of  to buy our glasses.  Of course, there were none to be bought locally.  So we got on Amazon, where they were going for upwards of $60 per pair. We did manage to find a couple of extra pairs.  My friend Patti offered us glasses, Mom brought us a couple pair of glasses, and our real estate agent sent some in the mail.  So, crisis averted. 


Around noon I took a blanket outside, found a nice spot in the middle of the basketball court, and intermittently watched the eclipse.  The boys were inside for most of it, but I would bring them out here and there to let them see the progression.  Finn and Sam both commented that the sun was turning into the moon.


This is my picture of the eclipse just as it was starting. (I took this picture basically blind because I was wearing my eclipse glasses and couldn't see a thing).   I later learned that you aren't suppose to take pictures of the eclipse because the sun can burn through your  camera, just as it can burn your eyes.  I don't think that I did any damage to either.  But, we had an unobstructed view!


About 30 minutes before totality, I brought the boys outside.  It was already noticeably cooler and it was growing darker.  It was a strange darkness.  I wouldn't compare it to dusk - it was heavier than dusk.  I can't really describe it.  It was kind of like looking through sunglasses. 



While waiting for totality, we passed the football around. (The boys are playing flag football this year.)




I took these pictures seconds before totality.  I think Sam might have missed the whole thing. Fortunately, Will was asleep the whole time. 



These pictures were taken during totality.  It was so strange and so incredible.  It was dark for almost three minutes.  The second it got dark, everything went quiet.  Then we heard frogs and crickets.  The boys were amazed, as were me and Michael. 


This is a picture I took during totality.  This pictures does not even come close to resembling what we saw.  The rays shining behind the moon was an incredible sight.  In fact, I got a little teary. 




Immediately after totality, we looked down and saw the shadow bands (snakes) all over the basketball court.  It was surreal! Then, once it was light again, we heard a rooster crow. 


Sam's reaction to the sun coming back.   

I am so thankful that I was able to experience this with Finn, Sam and Michael.  I will never, ever forget this moment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

High Ankle Sprain

Sunday