Sleep Training



Since he came home from the hospital, Will has slept right next to me.  For the first few weeks it was on the air mattress. Then we moved to the couch. Then we moved to a twin mattress in the floor of Will's room.  It didn't take long until we permanently took up residence in the marital bed - thus effectively evicting Michael.

We NEVER let Finn or Sam sleep with us - Will was different story.  He was a bit needier that Finn or Sam.  We were able to put both boys in their own crib at around 6 weeks and while they whimpered a bit - we were both able to self soothe enough to go to sleep.  Will hated his crib from the word go.  Whenever we put him in it he would scream until we finally came to rescue him (his words - not mine).  The times we tried, he would scream for well over an hour without tiring.  It was exhausting. So, we let him win.  This is how he wound up sleeping in our bed for six months.

Now, I am not complaining.  I LOVED having Will next to me in bed.  We both slept great.  Since I went back to work after three (3) weeks, I had to do whatever I could to get some sleep.  It was some of the sweetest, most comfortable nights that I can remember.  He would snuggle that little warm body up next to me and it was just wonderful.  I probably could have started sleep training him earlier, but I didn't want to lose my cuddle time with him.

Since it wasn't a work week I decided to time to "sleep train" Will.  Let me say that my sweet sleeping bed buddy, turned into a three headed monster of dread and doom.  It was really rough.  Don't let this picture fool.  This sweet sleeping baby is not indicative the week.



For the first five nights he would scream anywhere between 2 and 3 hours, non-stop.  When he finally went to sleep he would sleep for about 3 hours, wake up and then we start the whole process over again. We didn't sleep much at all. 

Well, I am thankful to report that Will has finally gotten the hang of it.  I can now lay him in bed drowsy and he goes to sleep on his own.  He does cry for about 5 to 10 minutes, but then he gives in and goes on to sleep. 

For the past few nights we have put him to bed at 8 and he has slept until about 4:00!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

High Ankle Sprain

Sunday