The Inauguration.

Today Donald Trump was inaugurated as the 45th President of the United States.  I decided that today was an appropriate day to blog about Finn's first "voting" experience.


We watch a lot of news programs in our house.  So much so that Sam believes my favorite TV show is "the News." Because it is always on, the boys are always hearing both the good and the bad. Because this election cycle was particularly ugly, we didn't really talk to the boys about who we were going to vote for.  Of course we discussed our beliefs and the foundation of our belief (Jesus), but we weren't avid supporters of either major candidate. Try, as he might, Finn couldn't really pry it out of us, so when he went in to "vote" at school, a great deal of his knowledge came from what he had heard on TV.   Spoiler alert: Finn was the only student in his class to vote for Hillary. 

When he got into the car that afternoon, I asked about his day.  He told that it was a terrible day.  I asked why and he explained his class election process.  Apparently, they all wrote down their choice for President and signed their name to the paper ballot.  Finn's teacher then read the votes aloud.   Finn then told me that she also reported who voted for whom.  This was bad news for Finn.  He told me that when his ballot was read his entire class booed him.   I couldn't help but laugh.  The picture in my mind was just too funny.  Finn looked at me in disbelief. I apologized and told him how funny I thought the whole scenario was.  Finn said, "MOM! It wasn't funny - I almost cried!"  Which, of course, made me laugh harder. 

In the end, no harm, no foul.  But it certainly shows the effect that TV has on young and impressionable minds. Finn likes to be on the winning side and all reports pointed to Hillary. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

High Ankle Sprain

Sunday