Skip to main content

Going on a Pic-Nic

On Saturday morning the boys slept till 6:00 a.m.:I heard them coming to my room and pretended to be asleep. They both climbed right up in the bed with me and were whispering to each other, Finn got as close as he could to my face and I just reached up and gave him a big hug then Sam climbed over and we just snuggled in the bed for a few minutes until Finn said, "Gran, I'm starving". So we all headed to the kitchen. I fixed a big breakfast for them and then we went out to play and water the flowers. I had decided not plan anything for the morning because we had been on a pretty tight schedule and I felt like the boys needed a little down time.

First we watered the flowers, Finn "helped" a lot, Sam wasn't that interested. Then Finn, Sam and Batman started their work out. First Finn and Batman worked on some pull-ups, Then Batman demonstrated to Sam how to climb a tree. Sam decided that Buz Lightyear was better at climbing trees and suddenly turned into him, ran across the yard and made a great effort to climb a very big tree! He was almost up the tree when he looked at me and said, "Gran I need to go poop"! We all headed straight to bathroom and after a short time headed back outside when we noticed that someone (meaning Finn) did not close the door and Kitty Cat Kate was outside! Finn was quick to apologize for not closing the door, but I assured him that it was fine because Kate really doesn't like to walk on grass so she is easy to find. The boys thought it was so funny watching Kate look at the flowers! We went into the house to dressed and Finn wanted to pick out play clothes so I let him help me to look in the closet for something to wear. He spotted a Gravedigger Tshirt that I bought for him years ago and was waiting for him to grow into it. It fit him perfectly and he loved it! I found a Tshirt for Sam with #3 on it, I bought it when he was 2, it won't fit him again, they are both growing way too fast! I let them watch one Veggie Tales and then it was time for naps.
I had been promising the boys that we would go on a real picnic for a few weeks and when they woke up from their naps we started packing our basket. First we got out the Sliced Ham and "Flat Cheese", Sam has been learning about shapes at school so I got out the cookie cutters and let them make circles and squares out of the slices. Sam woke up hungry and ate most of his as fast as he made it! It was so funny! After we made our shpes we began to pack the rest of the basket. They just loved picking out things to take. They packed apples, orange slices, chocolate chip cookies, Doritos, grapes, bottled water and chocolate milk! I knew they would never eat that much food but I didn't care, we had plenty of ice and I just planed to bring home what we didn't eat.

When we got to the park their were a lot of people at the playground and no available picnic tables, so we pulled a blanket out of the car and spread it out on grass near the playground. Finn told me that, "now we are having a real picnic". We were in the shade and it was a beautiful day, it was very humid but the breeze kept everything cool. Sam and Finn ate and ate, finally as I started to put things away Sam looked at me and said, "I just want one more grape," so I handed him the bowl and he ate at least 10 more grapes! I don't know how he eats that much?

After we put everything back in the car we down to the playground, which was just fabulous, they have everything a child could want to play on and it is well separated so the children are not running over each other. It was very busy though and I stayed right with the boys the whole time. There were seesaws, slides, rock walls to climb, a bridge that Sam ran across all by himself, and a pole that Finn went down all by himself! they were having a blast and we stayed until it started to sprinkle. when we got in the car, I gave the both a cold bottle of water and they were ready to go!

We stopped at the church on the way home to get everything ready for Sunday morning, then went to "Clovers" to get drive thru. While we in the drive through behind several cars Sam told me he needed to potty! I asked him if he could hold it since I was trapped in the line, he assured me that he could. We waited and waited, we were getting closer to getting our food when Sam said, "I need to go right now!", once again I asked if he could make it for a few more minutes and he said yes, ( I was ready to let him go right outside of the car,in the line). Soon as we got our food I parked and we ran in, I was so proud of Sam and I told him he did a good job! We came home took baths and at and watched Veggie Tails. Once again, both boys feel asleep during our story . 


Popular posts from this blog


Finn and Sam give Will absolutely NO personal space whatsoever.  They are always in face yelling and grabbing on him.  For a few minutes he will tolerate it.

Then he gets mad and starts swinging those arms.  I have warned both boys that they deserve whatever Will dishes out. 

Last Thursday was Finn's field day.  He wasn't too excited about it because he didn't get to participate at all.  He was even more upset by the fact that he only came home with a "participants" ribbon.  I guess Finn expected to get a ribbon for "Best Score Keeper."

Surprise sickness

When I picked Will up from daycare yesterday, I was informed that several babies had gone home throwing up.  Thirty minutes later - Will threw up too - in the car! It was so gross and so smelly.  The boys were really upset. For a minute, I thought they would throw up from the smell.  Luckily, we were on our way to the dentist so they quickly forgot about Will's vomit and started panicking about the dentist.  You see, I had kept this little tidbit from them until right before time to go.  This spared me days of whining.

Oh, and Will just started eating carrots.  That is why he is orange. 
When he got to the dentist's office I took Will in to change him.  When I pulled his only spare outfit out of the diaper bag I notice that the "do not steal me" hard, plastic tag was still attached.  Perfect.  I decided that he would just wear nothing.  So he sat in my lap, wearing nothing but his diaper all while throwing up into a baby blanket.  It was a make it work moment.  And o…

Sleep Training

Since he came home from the hospital, Will has slept right next to me.  For the first few weeks it was on the air mattress. Then we moved to the couch. Then we moved to a twin mattress in the floor of Will's room.  It didn't take long until we permanently took up residence in the marital bed - thus effectively evicting Michael.

We NEVER let Finn or Sam sleep with us - Will was different story.  He was a bit needier that Finn or Sam.  We were able to put both boys in their own crib at around 6 weeks and while they whimpered a bit - we were both able to self soothe enough to go to sleep.  Will hated his crib from the word go.  Whenever we put him in it he would scream until we finally came to rescue him (his words - not mine).  The times we tried, he would scream for well over an hour without tiring.  It was exhausting. So, we let him win.  This is how he wound up sleeping in our bed for six months.

Now, I am not complaining.  I LOVED having Will next to me in bed.  We both sle…