Preparing for Kindergarten

On Thursday the boys were home with me all day.  Michael was in Knoxville and spent a nice rainy day at home.  Since Friday started tax free weekend and since they were going to home with me all day on Friday as well, we decided that we would go school shopping on Friday morning with Gran.

Around 2:00 I started looking through the boys' school papers.  To my surprise, I learned that Open House was from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., instead of 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. In a panic, I called Michael, who was traveling home from Knoxville, and told him to pick up the pace. All week we had planned to be there a little after 6:00.  As I continued to read, I learned that we were supposed to bring ALL school supplies with us to Open House.  At 2:00 p.m. I had two boys sounds asleep and NO school supplies.

I hurriedly woke the boys up and jammed them in the car.  We then went on our search for supplies. I decided that it would be best to avoid Wal-Mart, so we went to Kroger Marketplace.  Thankfully we found everything we needed - even the K-3 Composition book (this one threw me for a loop).


I had really had not planned to hurry through the school supplies.  I really wanted to take my time and let Finn enjoy the experience. Even though we were a bit rushed, Finn had a good time.  And I did manage to get a few pictures.



When we got back home, I jumped in the shower and put the boys in the bathtub.  While I was getting ready at my bathroom vanity, I asked Finn to bathe Sam (yes, we were in that big of a hurry). I watched him through the mirror, and he did a really good job. 

Michael walked in the door a little after 5:00, and we left for school shortly thereafter.  We arrived at HCA Main Campus at 5:30ish.  First we went to Sam's class.  His new teacher is Mandy Smith.  You can't tell it from the pictures, but Sam was a bit shy.  He didn't say a word.  He mostly walked around the room in circles with cheeks full of air.  


His new room is very cute!  In this picture Ms. Mandy was demanding that Sam NOT smile.  He thought this was funny.


Next it was on to Finn's class.  His teacher this year is Mrs. Raymer.  Finn found his desk - right up front and sat down for a picture. He did great - much better than his old mom.  I thought that I would be fine, emotionally speaking, but walking into that classroom hit me like a ton of bricks.  I was not prepared for that.  


Next we went to the Cafeteria for ice-cream.  Michael ran into Margaret who went to Uganda with him last year.  We talked to her for a few minutes while the boys ate.  Then we went to O'Charley's with Gran for dinner. 

I was still pretty emotional.  I hadn't cried, but I felt pretty dumpy.  When I got home, I called Mrs. Sonya and talked to her for a few minutes. I had a question about the Kindergarten class size.  (We were a little shocked that there were 20 kids in Finn's Kindergarten class).   Talking to Mrs. Sonya released the flood-gates and I cried and cried. 

The cry actually made me feel much better. I will miss Mrs. Sonya and Mrs. Cindy so much.  Every morning when I dropped the boys off I would hang around a talk for a few minutes.  It felt like family and I am thankful that the boys had such great teachers. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

High Ankle Sprain

Sunday