Skip to main content

Preparing for Kindergarten

On Thursday the boys were home with me all day.  Michael was in Knoxville and spent a nice rainy day at home.  Since Friday started tax free weekend and since they were going to home with me all day on Friday as well, we decided that we would go school shopping on Friday morning with Gran.

Around 2:00 I started looking through the boys' school papers.  To my surprise, I learned that Open House was from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., instead of 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. In a panic, I called Michael, who was traveling home from Knoxville, and told him to pick up the pace. All week we had planned to be there a little after 6:00.  As I continued to read, I learned that we were supposed to bring ALL school supplies with us to Open House.  At 2:00 p.m. I had two boys sounds asleep and NO school supplies.

I hurriedly woke the boys up and jammed them in the car.  We then went on our search for supplies. I decided that it would be best to avoid Wal-Mart, so we went to Kroger Marketplace.  Thankfully we found everything we needed - even the K-3 Composition book (this one threw me for a loop).

I had really had not planned to hurry through the school supplies.  I really wanted to take my time and let Finn enjoy the experience. Even though we were a bit rushed, Finn had a good time.  And I did manage to get a few pictures.

When we got back home, I jumped in the shower and put the boys in the bathtub.  While I was getting ready at my bathroom vanity, I asked Finn to bathe Sam (yes, we were in that big of a hurry). I watched him through the mirror, and he did a really good job. 

Michael walked in the door a little after 5:00, and we left for school shortly thereafter.  We arrived at HCA Main Campus at 5:30ish.  First we went to Sam's class.  His new teacher is Mandy Smith.  You can't tell it from the pictures, but Sam was a bit shy.  He didn't say a word.  He mostly walked around the room in circles with cheeks full of air.  

His new room is very cute!  In this picture Ms. Mandy was demanding that Sam NOT smile.  He thought this was funny.

Next it was on to Finn's class.  His teacher this year is Mrs. Raymer.  Finn found his desk - right up front and sat down for a picture. He did great - much better than his old mom.  I thought that I would be fine, emotionally speaking, but walking into that classroom hit me like a ton of bricks.  I was not prepared for that.  

Next we went to the Cafeteria for ice-cream.  Michael ran into Margaret who went to Uganda with him last year.  We talked to her for a few minutes while the boys ate.  Then we went to O'Charley's with Gran for dinner. 

I was still pretty emotional.  I hadn't cried, but I felt pretty dumpy.  When I got home, I called Mrs. Sonya and talked to her for a few minutes. I had a question about the Kindergarten class size.  (We were a little shocked that there were 20 kids in Finn's Kindergarten class).   Talking to Mrs. Sonya released the flood-gates and I cried and cried. 

The cry actually made me feel much better. I will miss Mrs. Sonya and Mrs. Cindy so much.  Every morning when I dropped the boys off I would hang around a talk for a few minutes.  It felt like family and I am thankful that the boys had such great teachers. 


Popular posts from this blog


Finn and Sam give Will absolutely NO personal space whatsoever.  They are always in face yelling and grabbing on him.  For a few minutes he will tolerate it.

Then he gets mad and starts swinging those arms.  I have warned both boys that they deserve whatever Will dishes out. 

Last Thursday was Finn's field day.  He wasn't too excited about it because he didn't get to participate at all.  He was even more upset by the fact that he only came home with a "participants" ribbon.  I guess Finn expected to get a ribbon for "Best Score Keeper."

Surprise sickness

When I picked Will up from daycare yesterday, I was informed that several babies had gone home throwing up.  Thirty minutes later - Will threw up too - in the car! It was so gross and so smelly.  The boys were really upset. For a minute, I thought they would throw up from the smell.  Luckily, we were on our way to the dentist so they quickly forgot about Will's vomit and started panicking about the dentist.  You see, I had kept this little tidbit from them until right before time to go.  This spared me days of whining.

Oh, and Will just started eating carrots.  That is why he is orange. 
When he got to the dentist's office I took Will in to change him.  When I pulled his only spare outfit out of the diaper bag I notice that the "do not steal me" hard, plastic tag was still attached.  Perfect.  I decided that he would just wear nothing.  So he sat in my lap, wearing nothing but his diaper all while throwing up into a baby blanket.  It was a make it work moment.  And o…

Sleep Training

Since he came home from the hospital, Will has slept right next to me.  For the first few weeks it was on the air mattress. Then we moved to the couch. Then we moved to a twin mattress in the floor of Will's room.  It didn't take long until we permanently took up residence in the marital bed - thus effectively evicting Michael.

We NEVER let Finn or Sam sleep with us - Will was different story.  He was a bit needier that Finn or Sam.  We were able to put both boys in their own crib at around 6 weeks and while they whimpered a bit - we were both able to self soothe enough to go to sleep.  Will hated his crib from the word go.  Whenever we put him in it he would scream until we finally came to rescue him (his words - not mine).  The times we tried, he would scream for well over an hour without tiring.  It was exhausting. So, we let him win.  This is how he wound up sleeping in our bed for six months.

Now, I am not complaining.  I LOVED having Will next to me in bed.  We both sle…